Getting a university acceptance letter means students have cleared a huge hurdle on the path to their dreams. Here are six steps your students can take before informing universities of their decision to attend.
1. Wait for all notifications to arrive. If students applied to more than one university, they should wait until hearing back from the others before accepting an offer. Consider the benefits and challenges of each institution before commiting to a school.
2. Do the research. If students applied to a university, they have likely researched the institution beforehand and maybe even visited the campus. When a university goes from possibility to reality, students will likely view that university differently. Before making a final decision, students should consider visiting (or revisiting) the campus as a first-year student. If a campus visit is not a possibility, use the web to create a “virtual campus visit.” Take notes, because they will need them later.
3. Talk about it. Converse with family, friends, educators and tutors about options–especially those who have attended university, as their opinions can be especially valuable.
4. Take a moment to reflect. Read notes about each institution. Make a list to compare the schools. Consider what is most important about each option (cost, distance from home, majors offered, student population, etc.). Ask students to picture their first day of university, then ask which campus they are visualizing.
5. Access a student portal. Many universities have a student portal that contains important information and deadlines students will need to move forward in the admissions process. Students can find out how to access the portal in their acceptance materials.
6. Keep track of deadlines. Read through an acceptance letter completely, and take note of important dates. Those might include:
- Deadline to take placement tests
- Deadline to sign up for orientation
- Deadline to apply for housing
- Deadline to submit final high school transcript
- Deadline to file financial aid documents
- Deadline to accept admission (and pay an acceptance fee, if applicable)
Click here for more great university prep tips!